Thursday, September 4, 2008

Thing #11: Tagging and Del.icio.us

After setting up an account with Del.icio.us, I can see the potential usefulness of using tools like this- instead of the bookmarking on my browser. The use of tags makes this VERY useful- especially for us librarians!So far, I have added a few sites with book discussion guides (for when we do book club kit selection each year). But I though of another way to use Del.icio.us that would be useful: the other day, I was helping a patron find consumer information on central air conditioners. I remember doing this same search for other patrons, and then for myself also when I was faced with selecting an air conditioner and furnace for my home. I remember NOT finding much consumer info/ ratings in magazine articles. But I did find several websites were helpful- and I wish now that I had written these down! Now I can simply tag these sites and refer to del.icio.us when this comes up again. One of many potential applications.

No comments: