Sunday, September 14, 2008

Thing 23! Final Thoughts

I'm done!!! My final thoughts? This was A LOT more work than I thought it was going to be, but I learned SO MUCH. This was totally worth it!

I now have a basic understanding of many all the web 2.0 "tools" available. I will know what patrons, colleagues, and yes, even my own children are talking about when they discuss RSS feeds, Facebook, Digg, and instant messaging.

What I found really fascinating, was how libraries are using these tools. I used to ask the question why? Why would my library system even WANT to create their own Facebook and MySpace, for example? Now I understand. Why would we librarians be interested in things like Digg and creating wikis? Now I see how these tools could be really helpful and save a lot of time.

Most of all, working through these 23 things has launched me into this "2.0 world" and made me more comfortable with it. Although I have by no means mastered many of these tools, at least I know what's available out there. I know that now I will continue to use some of these tools in both my personal life and definitely at work.

No comments: